Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bean Cakes!!

Well, I finally got caught up on my laundry today. I can see the bottom of the hamper and I got everything folded and put away. It made it easier by thanking the Lord for my family and all that we have while doing it. I need to go about all of my daily chores in that manner and remember that my job at home is just as important as anything else that I could.

Part of my saving money and sticking to my grocery budget is making more beans. My husband and kids aren't totally on board with this. I grew up on beans and corn bread and I wasn't all that fond of it when I was younger. I eat anything though so I never, ever went hungry. I have found a new recipe for pintos though. A friend of mine told me about bean cakes. We had never heard of them before, but we are now hooked.

They are alot like a potato pancake, but made with beans. Here's how you make them.
Drain most of the liquid off of the beans
Mash them with a potato masher (they don't have to be very smooth)
I add chopped onions to mine but you don't have to
Add about a cup of flour or so to make it stiff
Make patties and fry in a tablespoon of oil on medium high heat until brown and crispy.
We like to eat ours with ketchup, but plain is good too. This is one of my new favorite things to use up leftovers. Even my kids like these.

Our dinner menu for tonight was barbq chicken legs, bean cakes, cheesy garlic biscuits, and cole slaw(leftover from last night) and deviled eggs (especially for Emma). I really enjoy reading other blogs that post their weekly menus so I will try to start that. I'm trying to plan my menus more than I used too, to help save money and the constant "Whats for supper" question from my family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails