Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New Kittens!

This weekend was beautiful, weather wise. It was so nice to finally have a whole weekend without rain. Of course we still need the rain so I'm not complaining when it does rain, but it was nice to have a weekend without it.

Saturday the kids went camping with my parents on the land that they own near Phillpott Lake. They had loads of fun. Their favorite part was poking the fire with sticks. My parents said that all I need to do is build a fire and give them sticks and they will entertain themselves for hours. Not sure how safe that may be.

Travis and I just had a nice relaxing Saturday at home. We didn't do anything but lay around watching movies and we grilled some steaks for supper. It was very nice to have a romantic evening by ourselves. That does not happen very often.

Sunday when we picked the kids up, we also brought home two baby kittens. My moms cat had four beautiful little kittens, that around six weeks old, we think. We had been wanting some cats to kill the mice and birds in our barn. We got both of the males. Colton and Emma was very excited about the kittens. So we brought them home and played with them for a little bit, then we went inside so kids could take a nap, because they were wore out from camping. While I was cooking supper the kids begged me to let them go play with the kitties. I gave in and let them, just to get them to be quiet. They had been outside for about ten minutes when Colton came in crying and screaming, "Mommy, Cody has a kitten". I took off outside to find, Cody our 11 year old Golden Retriever with Colton's kitten in his mouth. I had to hit Cody to get him to drop the cat. It was too late. The poor kitty was already dead.

I have never felt so bad in my life. Both of my kids were absolutely going crazy, screaming and crying. Emma kept blaiming herself because she was supposed to put the cats up while Colton held Cody. She couldn't get his cat and Cody got away from Colton. We knew that Cody would kill the cats and we would have to keep them away, we just didn't know that it would be so soon.

Colton called my mom and dad crying. Within an hour Colton was delivered another kitty by his Granny and Papa. He was so happy. We had a funeral for the "Rascal" yesterday and it was very sad. Colton and I both cried, (He's emotional just like me). Him and Emma picked some flowers and put on the grave. I must say that we had a very sweet little funeral.

Now we are extra careful with the kittens to keep Cody away. We are enjoying playing with them and can't wait until they are a little bigger so they can fin for themselves. As soon as I'm able to get a descent picture of the kids with them I will post it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails